Friday, December 21, 2012

The Wheels on the Bus...

This week, my son arrived home from school wearing one of those I'm-In-Deep-Shit expressions on his face and my smile froze. Usually, when one of my boys gets in trouble at school, it's the oldest. However, the Middle Child has had his moments...and boy, have they been doozies.

"Mom," he said. "The bus driver wants to talk to you."

Oh crap! Not the bus driver!

Pissing off the bus driver carries serious consequences. It can get a child thrown off the bus, which means that Mrs. Snark has to make van runs from school twice a day, long waits in a vehicle with a bored two-year-old.

In other words, Hell.

"Boy, what have you done now?" Mrs. Snark hissed in his ear before rushing down to the curb where the yellow vehicle idled. 

The bus driver is a courageous lady named Stacy who single-handedly manages a busload of children and has never maimed or murdered a single one. The woman is a saint.

"Hello, Stacy, Mrs. Snark said with a huge smile. "How can I help you?"

Stacy leaned forward and looked Mrs. Snark straight in the eye. "John needs to start bringing his handheld gaming device on the bus. I've been asking him about it for two weeks and he keeps claiming it's not charged."

"Yes, ma'am, I'll see to it that it gets charged and he has it tomorrow."

Drooping with relief, Mrs. Snark tracked back inside to confront her son. "Boy, you make sure that your Nintendo DS is charged and ready to take on the bus tomorrow. Do you understand me?"

"Yes, mom."

"If you don't, then you're grounded."

"Yes, mom."

Man, times have changed. In my day we weren't even allowed devices on the bus.

No comments:

Post a Comment