Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Author Spotlight: Juli D. Revezzo


Juli, please tell us about yourself and your writing.

I’m married live in Florida, attended the University of South Florida and have a degree in literature as well as Art History. I write—a lot. ;) Have been writing since childhood, mostly of the Fantasy-ilk, dark, romantic, any kind of fantasy will do. I’ve some short stories published in Twisted Dreams Magazine, Eternal Haunted Summer, and two charity anthologies: Dark Things II: Cat Crimes and The Scribing Ibis. And I have a book in galleys with The Wild Rose Press. Awaiting release information as we speak! 

I’m a total geek girl for Druids and Celtic Mythology, SF and Fantasy, for the Middle Ages and Renaissance and Victorian Eras, and I’m a huge bookworm.

What does your writing space look like?

A mess? *lol* My computer monitor takes up most of the desk space (when I bought the desk I just had a laptop) the tower’s next to it, and there are papers and books on the right hand side.

How long have you been writing?

Since I was a child sounds like a cliché answer, but it’s true. I started out writing poetry, and advanced to narrative ‘round about high school.

How do you come up with your book titles?
Usually I pick a theme in the story … but then I run them past my editor/critique partners. Sometimes they shoot them down then we brainstorm other, better titles. Sometimes, the first shot sticks. So it’s kind of a group effort. ;)

How do you name your characters?

I figure out what the character’s heritage is first (are their parents/Grandparents Italian, French, Norse, that kind of thing), or the era they were born in. Then comb through the appropriate baby name sites until something strikes me.

Do you write with music going in the background? What are some of your favorite types/bands?

Yes, I do. Though I try to match the music to what I think might fit the story, sometimes (like with one I’m writing set in the 1500s) it’s a bit hard.

What is your favorite book genre? Who are your favorite authors?

I read just about everything but my favorites are: mythology, fantasy, science fiction, classics and a little romance. I love Joanne Rock, Jolene Dawe, Kathy Carmichael, Beth Trissel, S.G. Rogers. I’m also a huge fan of Michael Moorcock, Melanie Rawn, Anne McCaffrey and Kim Harrison. I’m enjoying Elizabeth Moon’s works. There’s also the classic authors J. Sheridan LeFanu, Edgar Allan Poe, Mary Shelley, Virginia Woolf and the writers of Irish and Welsh Myth.

Do you have a favorite character from your books? Who is it and why?

From The Artist’s Inheritance and Caitlin’s Book of Shadows, it would have to be Beryl. She just seems like such a cool friend to have. Plus, she’s a good cook, and a witch. Handy to have around while kicking imp butt…you know how pesky imps—I mean characters—can be. ;)

Is there anything else you'd really like our readers to know?

I hope they enjoy my stories as much as I enjoyed writing them—all of them. 

Quick quiz:
  • Favorite food? I’m fond of Italian food.
  • Favorite color? Greens in dark and bluish shades.
  • Favorite animal? A raven.
  • Biggest pet peeve? People who judge books by one tiny little word in the synopsis without even reading a paragraph or two. People who believe they know the meaning of something without looking into, at least, the dictionary, drive me crazy too. Close-minded people are up there on the list too. *nods*
  • Dream car: I’d love to have a Lamborghini*, or a steam-car! ;)
*Not powered by steam

The Artist’s Inheritance

The balance between good and evil can be an art... or a curse.

Trevor and Caitlin were once happy newlyweds, profiting from Trevor's art. Until Trevor inherits his brother's house, and with it, his part of a family curse. Now, Caitlin will stop at nothing to save her beloved husband from insanity and suicide, even if it means she must embrace her destiny and become a witch.

It’s available at:
And in paperback from Createspace


Its companion story Caitlin’s Book of Shadows:

Something terrifying stalks Caitlin and her beloved Trevor. Something the bits and pieces she left claimed she had to make sense of--or so legend says. When the curator of their collection finds Caitlin's long forgotten diary, she wonders will it tell the whole tale? Will it tell why Caitlin seemed so determined to tell the difference between reality and nightmare even as she continued the fight to defend her family from evil? Will it explain why she thought her world twisted? If she really became a witch?

Perhaps the answer lies between the lines of her story, one of lessons, struggles, and the hopes she carried like a warrior's shield.

 **This is a side (or supplemental, if you will) story in the Antique Magic series, a companion to The Artist's Inheritance (Antique Magic, Book One).

It is available at:
Amazon

And I have a paranormal romance novel forthcoming from The Wild Rose Press. If your readers would like to keep tabs on its release they may do so at my blog, or on my page at the Wild Rose Press.


Author BIO:

Juli D. Revezzo is a Florida girl, with a love of fantasy, science fiction, and Arthurian legend, so much so she gained a B.A. in English and American Literature. She loves writing stories with fantastical elements whether it be a full-on fantasy, or a story set in this world–slightly askew. She has been published in short form in Eternal Haunted SummerDark Things II: Cat Crimes (a charity anthology for cat related charities), Luna Station Quarterly, The Scribing Ibis: An Anthology of Pagan Fiction in Honor of Thoth, and Twisted Dreams Magazine. She recently released her debut novel, The Artist’s Inheritance.

She also has an article and book review or two out there. But her heart lies in the storytelling. She is a member of the Independent Author Network and the Magic Appreciation Tour.

Where can to find Juli D. Revezzo on the web?
Google+


Thanks for having me here today, Melissa!

Juli, you're welcome! It was wonderful having you as a guest. :)

Be sure to stop back on Wednesday for my review of  The Artist’s Inheritance.

6 comments:

  1. Great interview, Juli! I love Beth Trissel and Elizabeth Moon too. And I've always been a big fan of Edgar Allen Poe.

    Best of luck with your all your books! Hope you get the release date for the newest one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for hosting me today, Melissa!

    Thanks for stopping by, Susan. Always good to hear from you! Release date? Actually, I owe you an email...about that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Juli. :)

      I love your choice in favorite car. I love dark green, ravens and Italian too so we've got a lot in common. My leading pet peeve is waiting in line though. :D

      Delete
  3. Juli D. Revezzo is an up and coming author. I'm looking forward to your new releases, Juli!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So nice to learn more about you, Juli. I'm sure your books are wonderful. Best wishes in your writing career!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Juli, You and I are kindred spirits in many ways - from Italian food to Celtic mythology! Wishing you success with your titles, keep them coming. The titles are going on my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete