Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Too Much Information


 TMI: Too Much Information. The common colloquial usage implies that the sharer has imparted personal details that are simply too personal or maybe too gross for anyone to really want or need to know.

I love the way XKCD has found a secondary implicit meaning: there is simply too much information. Period. As in WAY TOO MUCH, regardless of quality and source.

On any given day, the Internet challenges my reality filters. There are too many competing input streams: email, social media, websites, blogs, etc. I want to take it all in. I strive to do so, but the sheer magnitude of the data load overwhelms me and I wind up staring at pictures of cute cats instead.

Sometimes, on really bad days, I fight the coma of ennui by clutching a cute cat to my bosom, absorbing the hypnotic rumbling purr. (I used to hug Miss Bear but now she squirms away.)

I find this relaxing too:

4 comments:

  1. I can totally relate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Farah. This is what happens when I post while I'm in a weird mood. :-)

      Delete
  2. I'm with you all the way. (And glad to know it's not just my age!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison,
      I think it's universal but I might be wrong. :)

      Delete